Saturday, June 30, 2007

Shrek the Third

I have been really fascinated with animated films ever since I was a kid, and up to now I still look forward to watching every single animated film that would be shown on screen. I feel like a kid at heart upon watching one. Today, I borrowed a Shrek the Third DVD from my friend because I have been dying to see it but could not find the time to go out. It was a good thing I did not have much school work to do over the weekend to I managed to grab the cd and play it.

Shrek the Third was not a disappointment, the way I have been disappointed with Pirates of the Caribbean. I was also expecting a lot from this film since the last two really knocked me off my feet laughing. Funny how Shrek struggled to face his responsibilities, that of being the next heir to the throne and that of being a father. Shrek always hated responsibilities. The part I really love was the little ogres scene! The film left me with the message of change; that the weak can someday be a king, and that villains can also have their happily ever after ending.

Although Shrek the Third was an animated film, it does not necessarily mean that it has a different movie language. The ABC’s of live film also applies to it. The position of the camera, such as the ling shot to show the chaos going on in the Far Far Away Kingdom, the close-up shot of Puss in Boots to show his compassionate face; the lighting design, such as the low-key used in the scene where Prince Charming together with the villains plot their revenge; the sound design, such as the music used in the different scenes to establish the mood and emphasize emotions of the characters. These elements all together made the film even more appealing, therefore more effective in narrating the story. It was amazing how the people behind it thought of merging every famous fairy tale into one big kingdom, and using an ogre instead of the typical beautiful characters. It was like a way of breaking the stereotypical notion that we have during our childhood days. Indeed, Shrek the Third was a success.

.

No comments: